Friday, July 9, 2010

BELFAST, NORTHERN IRELAND MAY 2010

BELFAST, NORTHERN IRELAND
Deep River Rock Belfast City Marathon




After the marathon!
I have now officially completed 3 marathons.  Plus one 50 mile hike which I ran half of.
I think this location was by far the most interesting as far as learning about the city goes.  The run was fascinating as we ran through the city!  Perhaps the following pictures will explain why!


Did you know that C.S. Lewis is from Belfast??  He went to the school up above.  I love C.S. Lewis. 



Something else I learned while there, the Titanic was built there! 


Frederick "Douglass became officially free when British supportors arranged to purchase his freedom from his owner"  Douglass was in Ireland when this happened.  Fascinating fact!

What else goes on in Belfast?


This is the "peace" wall used to seperate the Catholic and the Protestant neighborhoods.  Who knew?



This is real.  When I was running the marathon we ran through many places.  One street actually had a couple guys dressed very similar to this holding guns just like this man.  There were petitioners standing along the street holding signs up for the runners to read about the political injustice and etc. that goes on.  I was blown away with all the new things I experienced and learned while there.


No comments:

Post a Comment